The Legal Orientation Program (‘LOP’)for immigrants is funded by taxpayers’ money to educate and help detainees on their legal rights in the United States. Keeping in stride with their Anti-Immigration policies, The Trump Administration looked to audit (and pause the program while it audits) and shut down the LOP that has been running since it was started in 2003 under the Bush administration.
Attorney General Sessions preserves the Legal orientation for detainees.
- Justice.gov Legal Orientation Program
- Washington Times Sessions to preserve taxpayer-funded legal advice program for deportees
- Washington Post Sessions backtracks on pausing legal aid for immigrants facing deportation
- CNN Sessions resumes immigrant legal advice program under pressure from Congress
- Washington Post ICE praised legal-aid program for immigrants that Justice Dept. plans to suspend
This comes just a few weeks after Comedian/Political Commentator and Host of Last Week Tonight did a scathing piece on the United States’ Immigration Courts. While Last Week Tonight is a cable television show, the contents of the skit with respect to the Immigration Courts are factual. While the process is messy and often slanted against the immigrant, LOP preserves some dignity of our justice system.